How to make the best Chicken Tortilla Soup
Best CrockPot or Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This thick and hearty soup/stew is so good!! One of our staffers brought a crockpot
full to the Research Maniacs' office potluck and there was none left! Everyone wanted the recipe,
so we thought we'd post it here for all to enjoy.
It's really easy to make. Just take a few minutes to throw it all in a slow-cooker in the
morning and you're done...easy peasy and the whole family will love it. It's spicy, but you
can turn down the heat by using tomatoes without jalapeņo. Serve with Juanita's Tortilla Chips
if you can find them...best tortilla chip ever. Enjoy!
2 10oz cans of diced tomatoes w jalapeņo
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn OR about two cups frozen corn
1 onion, chopped OR 1/4 cup dried onion
1 32 oz box low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chile powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Extras to be served with it:
Juanita's tortilla chips (yum!) or use your favorite brand
Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Cheese Blend
1. Pour tomatoes with jalapeņo, beans, corn, onion, chicken broth, and spices in slow-cooker and stir to mix.
2. Put the uncooked chicken breasts into the mixture, submerging them in the liquid. It's fine to use
frozen chicken breasts, but allow for the longer recommended cooking time.
3. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours.
4. About 15 minutes before serving, remove the chicken breasts from the soup, shred them with a fork,
and then stir shredded chicken back into slow-cooker mix.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and eat!
It's delicious just as it is, and even better topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, or whatever you like.
You can submerge tortilla chips in the soup or spoon soup onto the chips like a dip...yum!